LocusAmoenus

Locus Amoenus: All By My Shelf

Watch the amazing Locus juggle several books at once, and try not to drop any! Free admission.

Professional Reader

One Corpse Too Many (The Chronicles of Brother Cadfael Book 2)
Ellis Peters
Progress: 20%
Shameless: A Sexual Reformation
Nadia Bolz-Weber
House of Leaves
Mark Z. Danielewski

Final Thoughts: Indigo

Indigo - Beverly Jenkins

I'm so happy I discovered Ms Jenkins! This novel was absolutely amazing, so thanks to my reading buddies here for bringing this author to my attention. Hester's story was heartbreaking and uplifting, and the blend of history and fiction was seamless. I appreciated the fact that the story behind the "traitor" was nuanced, and not a simple whodunit; it was shocking and sad, but ultimately resolved in the best way possible.

I also loved the fact that there was a bibliography at the end, so I can read up on the Road. I do remember visiting Harper's Ferry on a family trip as a child (I spent about a decade in the U.S., and my parents wanted to explore all facets of its history while we lived there), where there's a memorial museum to Brown and his daring, tragic attack. But now I want to know more about the everyday men and women who made these escapes possible.

My one question is: Does Raymond have his own book? Because I would absolutely read it.